Sunday, July 13, 2008

Husbands

So, I am taking a cue from another blogger and honoring my husband here for all the world to see. I agree, that we as wives can be guilty of husband bashing--complaining of every little misstep our husbands make, usually to girlfriends who bash much the same way. In the last year I have realized just how critical I can be when it comes to the man in my life. I hate to admit it, but it is true. Not making excuses, but I have a good friend--a friend I love like family,who nonetheless has a knack for (at times, like many) seeing only the disappointments in life and the shortcomings of her husband. When conversations arise on "male-shortcomings", I have found that misery loves company. When someone constantly complains, it is like someone shining a flashlight on the very same issues in your life, illuminating them so that they rear their ugly head. Admittedly, I have fallen into that trap, but at some point I realized how toxic that behavior is. I grew tired of the negativity and I grew weary of the wife I was becoming...I didn't want to complain about the love of my life--after all, I am certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination...not even remotely close! Anywho...I don't want to be one of those wives! I don't want to sit on watch waiting to catch my husband being "bad." Honestly, aren't we as mothers told not to sit around, waiting to catch our kids being bad? Aren't we told to catch our children being good? My husband is human, as am I. We will make mistakes...we will disappoint, even if for a brief moment. As a fellow blogger mentioned, would I want someone to trash my son...would I want the "love of his life" to disrespect him in that way? Not a chance...I would be beside myself! Husbands don't deserve to be demeaned...even in the heat-of -the-moment. Husbands need and deserve our respect... Just as women need to be held and cuddled and listened to and APPRECIATED (isn't that a wife's greatest issue)...a husband needs to be respected. He needs to be respected as a man, as a father, as a husband, as a friend, as a supporter, and as protector. All the feelings that women derive from being honored and appreciated are the exact feelings a man derives from respect. We need to remember that! Griping and complaining and bashing gets us no where, except deeper in disappointment. It is not constructive and serves no purpose, but to divide. Do you want to be divided? I don't. Make your words and actions count. Life is too short and is full of surprises...make your words count!

So...I would like to honor my husband! I love him more than words could ever describe; nonetheless, I will do my best to honor him!
1) I love my husband because he loves us with every fiber of his being and has never pretended otherwise.
2) I love my husband because he would rather see me happy, even if it means he is miserable.
3) I love my husband because he still looks at me like he did when we met 20 years ago.
4) I love my husband because he knows how to make me laugh, even when it is the last thing I feel like doing.
5) I love my husband because he would lay down his life to protect his wife and kids--no questions asked.
6) I love my husband because of the way he looks and marvels at our children.
7) I love my husband for the example he sets in his life as a devoted husband, father, son, brother, and friend.
8) I love my husband for his love of country.
9)I love my husband for the selfless way he provides for our family...even when it takes him to the other side of the world.
10) I love my husband for the strength he exudes in unfortunate circumstances.
11) I love my husband for his unique sarcasm and quit wit--I have met my match! :)
12) I love my husband--he would go to the end of the earth and back for the ones he loves.
13) I love my husband for the way he makes me feel--I am still enough for him and he will never let me forget it.
14) I love my husband because he is a shining example of quiet faith and strong constitution.
15) I love my husband because he had enough courage to choose me and all that I bring to the table.

I would never want another! No other could fill the shoes of the man in my life..there is no other. My husband makes me feel safe and protected; loved and respected; honored and adored. He makes me feel beautiful and full of worth. I have seen in the last year that he is my biggest cheerleader here on earth...I owe him much the same. The man that he is does not deserve anything less than my praises. Sure, will we each make mistakes in this life? Will we experience hardship and stress? Will we have moments of wanting to tell the other what we think in the heat of the moment? Will we be capable of disrespect and unbecoming behavior? The answer...if being completely honest, is yes. But, do we have control over our mouths and actions? Yes. Can we take a deep breath and not run to the phone and complain? Can we ask God to be a guard over our mouths? Yes. In a moment of stress, can we remember why we said yes to the man that we love and what it was in that moment that made him stand apart from the rest? Absolutely! After all, he did stand apart from the rest, didn't he? We as women need to learn that our husbands missteps can become ours, if we run off, wagging our tongues, saying things that we later regret. Life is too short to say things that lack substance, hurt others, and cause discontentment. Living an honorable life can partly be defined by how we behave in good times, but more importantly how we behave in times of stress and trouble. Walk with grace... talk with grace. Respect those whom you love and honor the man that chose you! Honor the man that you said yes to! In times of trouble, remember why you said yes! Try to channel the feelings and the emotions when you said yes! He was good enough then...he is good enough now!

4 comments:

Christy said...

Trisha this was a wonderful post, not only the list of WHY you love your husband, but the further explanations! I'm praying for all of you. I'm going back to the states and probably won't get to read while I'm gone, but when I return in 6 weeks I'll be back to read and see how you're doing. Email me anytime!!!! :)

Kirsten said...

I love, love, loved this post. You and your family are in my prayers. I shared your blog address with a friend whose husband returned from Iraq and is adjusting to being back. I hope that she connected with you. Having women who truly understand the journey our life takes makes it so much easier and more bearable to move forward. I pray that things are well with you and your family. We will continue to pray.

Blessings,
Kirsten

Christy said...

Hey I just wanted to check on you since you've not blogged since July....Thank you for the comment when I was feeling so low the other day.

Kirsten said...

Just checking in to see how you are doing. We are thinking about you and praying for you and your family. God bless!

Kirsten