Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July

This Fourth of July will have special meaning to us...For the first time since 1997, my husband is off serving our great country. Usually, our family celebrates our great country like many Americans, with barbeque's, family, and friends. Here in California, we have to seek out firework shows, as setting them off yourself is illegal. This year; however, we are one less in our celebration. Jeff is hours away from departing from the "land of the free." He will join thousands of men and women who are making sacrifices for the betterment of our country.

Jeffrey, I am so very proud of you. I am honored to call you my husband and father to our two children. I know how trying this separation is for you...I know you miss us. I also know how much you love your country and how when your country calls, you come running. From the day that you entered the Naval Academy back in the summer of 1989 till now, you beam with pride over being able to serve your country. I remember how hard it was for you to leave the Navy after the birth of Lauren...I know that your hopes were to find a career that would allow you more freedom, time with your family,and a change of scenery. I remember after 9/11 how I had to beg you not to recall yourself...you felt the call then, but I selfishly kept you with us. I know being in the Reserves has meant the world to you...even though you would like to play off that it hasn't. You bleed red, white, and blue. You are a true patriot and I was foolish to think that you would never be called up. But now that you have, I have once again realized just how important the military life is to you....As hard as it was for you to leave...despite the tears...the pride was there. All of it...the uniform, the discipline, the respect, the selflessness, the love of country...it becomes you. I honor you and I love you. I am so proud of you. You are carrying yourself through this chapter with such grace and confidence. I am sitting back here at home in awe of you and all that you are risking for the very freedoms I live with everyday. I love you, honey...Godspeed.

To the thousands of men and women serving in our armed forces, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your sacrifices are great and many. Thank you for the freedom that you protect on a daily basis...thank you for laying down your life for your fellow man...thank you for selflessly serving your country, when so many don't heed the call. All of you are a unique breed, embodying what it means to be a true patriot. May God continue watch over you all and bring you all home safely to your families. We miss you and we thank you.

I hope you all have a wonderful Fourth of July. Please take a moment to say a prayer for the thousands of men and women serving our country. The sacrifices they continue to make protect us daily and allow us to maintain the freedoms that so many will never experience.

Oh, and my dear husband...congratulations on making O5...Mr. Commander, sir! :)

No comments: